Pages

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork...

So last week, Ree (The Pioneer Woman) posted this recipe for Spicy Dr Pepper Shredded Pork..

I instantly tagged and starred it to try later... I also emailed it to Ms Kos.... she messaged back and was rather skeptical... but she tried it anyways.... and it was a smashing success!! She also ordered that I make it IMMEDIATELY!!

Ok, so truth be told, I completely forgot to take a photo of it pre-NOMMING...
This is the leftover... hanging out in the crock pot.. soaking up all the NOMMINESS...
Ready to take for lunch tomorrow...
Since we went shopping yesterday, I collected all ingredients required.. well.. kinda... and set it in the slow cooker this morning to work its magic.... I was excited to get home and have the flat filled with spicy smoky aroma... (a la Ms Kos)... but alas... this wasn't the case...

I checked the cooker... poured in some extra Dr Pepper (well, Dr Pop.. we went for the supermarket brand stuff).... flicked the switch to high... and a coupla hours later... the house was smelling delicious!!

Incidentally, so was our dinner!! Make this!! You won't regret it!!

I couldn't find Chipotles in Adobo Sauce, so quick look online, I subbed it with 500g of passata, a handful of bird's eye chillies, 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon of paprika...

I started only putting in 1c of Dr Pop because the passata was more liquid than a can of adobo, but ended up adding another cup when I got home because the liquid wasn't quite covering all the pork...

It ended up quite sweet, not sure if it's the imitation Dr Pepper (the only option was no sugar added, I assume that means it had chemical sweetner in it... :[  ) or just not enough cumin/paprika to give it that extra smokiness.. but the bird's eye chillies definitely gave it a fiery after taste which I LOVED!

So my version =

3lbs of pork shoulder
2c Dr Pop
2T brown sugar
500g passata
1t cumin - (add more if you want more smokiness, I would add more next time.. and there WILL be a next time!)
1t paprika
5 bird's eye chillies
1 large onion
salt & pepper (I use sea salt & fresh ground pepper)

Chop onions
Dump it all in a slow cooker
Put it on low... cook for 10 hours....
If pork isn't tender and falling apart (mine wasn't), then throw it on high and cook until the meat comes apart when pulled with two forks...

I served mine on rice, with some pan fried green beans (coz you gotta have some greenery, or you'll get scurvy!!)

Ms Kos served her on rice with fresh made salsa and avocados...
Ree served hers in tortilla/taco wraps...

Tomorrow I plan to put it in a nice bun and have pulled pork sandwich for lunch!!

Go forth and create nomminess!!! (And go look at Ms Kos and Ree's photos because mine really was an afterthought and the light in my kitchen is TERRIBLE!)

Seriously.. make this... you won't regret it!!
xx Caz

2 comments:

  1. I love that you made this! I saw it, bookmarked it, and forgot about it! I love Ree and every time I've tried one of her recipes it's turned out incredible!
    I laughed out loud when you mentioned scurvy! I had a roommate in college who got scurfy, and before that I thought it was something you'd only read about in picture books!


    MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE veges... so my way of getting it on the menu is saying that we'll get scurvy if we don't have veg! :D Tho the mister also loves veg.. so I guess I say it more to be funny than anything else! :D

    You should totally make this... it's so yummy!! Just set it in your crock pot before a Muffin & Biscuit outing somewhere and it'll be all ready when you get home! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete

♥ Your turn on the soapbox.. ♥