Pages

Friday 29 July 2011

Homeopathic cold remedy - Lemon, Honey & Ginger

So, Mr JGP is sick right now.... so I have resorted to my tried and true cold cure to try and help rid him of his sick bugs... and there's a few other people out there in blogLand who seem to be suffering from sick germs so I thought I would share my remedy...

It's super simple and I totally swear by it...
You need:
Lemon
Ginger - preferably fresh.. but the mushed stuff out of a jar would work too
Honey - preferably Manuka, it can be pricey, but I think it's worth it if you get the "active" stuff.. the higher the UMF rating, the better.. tho, also the more pricey it becomes!  if manuka is outta the price range.. just whatever honey you have in the cupboard will do too... tho I've only ever used clear runny honey.. but I don't see why the solid stuff wouldn't work...

To make one mug of yumminess:
Peel the skin off a bit of ginger and cut three slices (prob like 3-4mm thick), I then cut these slices into strips, so you have like mini ginger chips if you will.... put these into the bottom of your mug...
Cut two slices of lemon about 1/2cm thick (each).. go ahead and just throw the slices on top of the ginger...
Then get a spoon and load it up with honey... probably a flat tablespoon or a heaped teaspoon.. stick it in the mug and use the spoon to moosh your lemon slices and smoosh up the ginger...
Add hot boiling water, give it a stir and voila!!

It tastes wayyyy better than lemsip (in my opinion).. the honey soothes the throat and the lemon and ginger fight the sick germs!!

Lately I have been thinking that you could probably make this and put it in the fridge and drink it cold too...

It's caffeine free and it's super cheap (unless you splurge on the Manuka honey) and I totally swear that it makes me better when I'm sick... I've also gotten the mister on the wagon and JGP seems to be doing well on it too... :)
xx Caz
Next time you feel a tickle in your throat or just want a little boost... give this a go!!  Leme know how you get on!!

ps. if you are a super ginger fan.. you can also grate the ginger to really get the juices of out it.. (I usually grate the ginger over the mug to catch all the juice if I do it) but it can be a bit intense if you're not used to the heat...

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! I am bookmarking this page for when I get sick. :) I hope the mister feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't get sick anytime soon Katie, but I hope it works well for you when you try it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

♥ Your turn on the soapbox.. ♥