Pages

Monday 8 August 2011

Thoughts and Thinking...

The Thinker - Auguste Rodin
During the course of conversation lately, I have noticed there are different types of verbal thought...
I am very much a person who has sort of "stream of consciousness" verbal thoughts, in the sense that I talk as I think things over... so sometimes what I say seems to lack coherence and make no sense... (this probably happens more than I'd like to admit! - apparently my mind is a jumbled mess!) and I will often jump from one thought/idea to another as they occur to me...
Some people only verbalise thoughts after they have internally debated and come to a conclusion... and they are just seeking confirmation that they have come to the "right" decision... or they want a "sounding board"... often things only seem "real" after we have verbalised them to someone else...
Other times people verbalise a finalised thought in the hopes that the other person will "talk them out of it", to argue the other side, to "make them see sense"...
And whether we like to admit it or not, we probably have a set friend we go to for each scenario... there are friends who will agree with you no matter what... and there are friends who will tell you not to be so bloody stupid and what the hell were you thinking!?!?  Maybe it's not even a conscious decision who we instinctively go to when we want to hear the things we want to hear... does that even make sense?

Many times I've been told, I definitely fall into the second category... I am the kind of person you go to when you want to hear it like it is... this is not to say that I will always tell you what I think (although more often than not, I do!)... but if you approach me with a thought or idea or ask my opinion.. there will be no sugar coating involved...  mostly because of the aforementioned "stream of consciousness", though due to this, I can and will often talk in circles until I either convince myself of something or convince myself otherwise!

A bit like this post! Are you still with me? Or did I lose you somewhere amongst my jumbled mind??!!

What kind of thinker are you?
What kind of friend are you? Are you one to tell them what they want to hear?
Or are you like me and tell them what you truly think, even if it's not something they want to hear?
Are you one to always put in your two cents worth? Or do you only share your opinion if you're asked for it?
More often than not I can't help but put my two cents in.. and sometimes it gets me in trouble.. but in the words of Dr Seuss "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Hope you had a great weekend!!
xx Caz
I have been wing eating, beaching, brunching, pitch & putting, dragon boat watching & enjoying the company of great friends! Life doesn't get much better!!

4 comments:

  1. I just think while I'm talking. Thinking first is WAY too hard.

    My problem is that I tend to think that my way is the best way - so can be a little too sharing with my thoughts than some people would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly sure talking helps me think...

    Hahaha... I think that's probably why you and I get along so well... tho it's a surprise we don't butt heads more often... must be that whole "great minds think alike thing!" ; )

    I've long given up on my way is the best way... I'm happy that my way is my way and if you don't like it... well you can get out of the way! Tho that is often misconstrued as my way is the only way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually think before I speak because I get myself in trouble when I don't. I can be very blunt. If a friend asks me for my opinion, I ask them if "i can be real" with them. If they hesitate, I fudge my answer. If they want me to answer truthfully, then I tell them what I really think. I never give my opinion before someone decides to ask me for it though...unless its my husband. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my friends just don't bother coming to me unless they want the brutal truth... :)
    I should probably start thinking more before I speak... :D

    ReplyDelete

♥ Your turn on the soapbox.. ♥