Pages

Tuesday 11 September 2012

Crunchy Chewy Marshmallow Cookies

Hey hey!!

So with more marshmallows at home than I can shake a stick at, I decided to try another batch of marshmallow cookies...
This time the cookies turned out very crunchy and the marshmallows were more chewy than gooey..

crunchy cookie with chewy marshmallow inner!
 These ones turned out a lot sweeter than last time, most likely because I used about double the marshmallows (and cut them into halves rather than quarters)... I also forgot to dial back the sugar when I switched out white granulated for golden.. oops!
 



adapted from recipe found here

what I used :
  • 1/2 c olive oil spread
  • 1/4 c+ 2 tbs golden granulated sugar
  • 1/4 c+ 2 tbs light brown sugar – packed
  • 1 egg – room temp
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c plain flour
  • 1/2 c self raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 200g marshmallow bits

what I did :

1.Preheat oven to 160C. Move the oven rack to the middle of the oven. Line a tray with baking paper.
2.In a medium bowl sift/whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3.In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. I'm lazy and use a hand mixer..
4.Scrape down the bowl then add vanilla and egg. Mix until combined.
5.While mixing on slow, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl.
6.Fold in marshmallows.
7.Work a small tablespoon of dough into balls and pop onto lined cookie sheet. Leave plenty of space as the cookies tend to spread!
8.Throw in the fridge for 5 minutes.
9.Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.


tips & tricks :

Refrigerate the batter prior to baking..

I worked my dough into little balls (think ping pong/golf ball), popped them on the tray and threw the whole thing in the fridge for about 5 mins before baking... these produced the cute round cookies in the pics... the other ones spread out a lot more and ended up quite "rustic" looking...

Baking them at a lower temperature for longer stops the marshmallows from burning before the cookies are done..

I usually find a few cookies that are not quite done at the end.. I tend to throw these back in the oven after I've switched it off and just let the residual heat do the last bit of cooking...

xx Caz

Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Your turn on the soapbox.. ♥