Pages

Sunday 6 November 2011

Home-made Sweet & Sour Pork

I made this recipe months ago, before I went to Canada even, I had intended on posting the recipe while I was on holiday and I think I even promised it to a few people on facebook.. then I realised I never uploaded the photos, then it took me a while to find them... so here I am.. months after the fact... posting this recipe!

What you'll need:

  • 200ml Pineapple Juice
  • 1/4c cider vinegar (I would probably dial this back to 1/8c)
  • 2T soy
  • 2T honey
  • 2T sugar
  • 1/2t paprika
  • 1/2t five spice
  • 1/2t chilli
---------------------
  • green pepper, sliced or diced 
  • onion, sliced
  • 2c pineapple chunks (approx. I think I used most of a 500ml can)
  • 4 pork loin steaks, diced
-------------------------
  • 2T cornflour to thicken
  • 1c rice to serve


What to do:


Get your rice washed and started cooking if you are cooking rice from scratch.

Mix first group of ingredients in a bowl, have a wee taste to judge acidity & flavour. (I didn't do this.. I kinda threw in ingredients as I went, but this would have been a much better way to do it!) Feel free to adjust the flavour to suit your taste. Let me know any changes you make too!

Brown onion
Add peppers
Add pork, cook until pork has started to brown.

Add the sauce mix..

Once it's come to a boil, sieve in the cornflour to thicken up the sauce.. make sure you stir it in well so it doesn't get lumpy.  It would probably be easiest to scoop the solid ingredients to one side and tip the liquid to the other side and just add the cornflour to the liquid.. (does that make sense??)

Stir well, add more cornflour if you want your sauce to be thicker, or you can let it reduce down a bit if this won't overcook the pork.

Throw in the pineapple chunks near the end, a few minutes before you're ready to serve, so they don't get too soggy.

Hopefully your rice is done cooking by this stage!! Spoon plenty of pork and sauce over your rice and enjoy!!

I love the fact that this sweet and sour isn't bright orange! I've never really understood why restaurant sweet n sour is always so fluorescent orange... Maybe they use orange juice instead of pineapple juice but even still... Anywhos.. this is my "healthy" home made sweet & sour! You could essentially use it with chicken I guess as well.
xx Caz
I would love to know if you try this and if you make any changes to the sauce...

Happy Eating!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Your turn on the soapbox.. ♥